Here you'll find our favorite recipes, both original goop creations and dishes shared by great make contributors. Browse by ingredient or category to find the perfect dish for any craving or occasion, or simply scroll to get inspired (and seriously hungry).
- Fennel, about 1⁄3 medium bulb or 1⁄2 small one
- 1⁄2 tart apple
- About 6 walnuts
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, or more to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or more to taste
Fennel, Apple, and Walnut Salad
1. Remove the course outside rib of the fennel bulb, and trim off the stalk, saving the leaves. Trim the root end so the bulb stands firmly, and with a sharp knife cut very thin slices. If you have a mandoline, by all means use it.
2. Core the apple, and cut it into thin slices, leaving the peel on.
3. Mix together the dressing ingredients, taste, and adjust as you see fit. Pour the dressing over the fennel and apple slices with the walnuts, broken in half, and some of the fennel leaves chopped, and toss everything together. Pile onto a salad plate, and top with a few more fennel leaves.
Excerpted from The Pleasures of Cooking for One by Judith Jones. Copyright © 2009 by Judith Jones. Excerpted by permission of Knopf, a division of Random House, Inc. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.